1. Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the milk and cereal to the saucepan and cook for about five minutes, or until the cereal has softened. 00:16
2. Pour the milk and softened cereal into a blender and blend until smooth. 01:13
3. Add the contents of the blender to the anglaise and whisk to combine. Taste the mixture and add salt, cinnamon or other spices, if desired. Refrigerate the anglaise mixture until ready to make ice cream. 01:58
What You'll Need
- Large saucepan
- Ice cream maker or dry ice*
- Milk (1 quart)
- Breakfast cereal of your choosing (1 cup)
- Crème anglaise (1 portion)*
- Salt to taste
- Cinnamon (optional)
*To learn how to prepare crème anglaise and make ice cream using dry ice, visit Chef Kwame’s "Using Dry Ice to Make Ice Cream" tutorial located at the bottom of the page.
Adding salt in dessert recipes helps to enhance the subtleties of sweet flavors.
Crème anglaise is a lightly cooked mixture of egg yolks, sugar, and milk. It is used to make custard, dessert creams, and serves as the base for many ice cream recipes.
Chef Kwame recommends using Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, or Cap’n Crunch, but any breakfast cereal can be used.