1. Place the lettuce head on a cutting board. Using a chef’s knife or cleaver, trim away an inch or two of the top leaves of the lettuce head. Draw the knife down the center of the lettuce head, lengthwise, to cut in half. 00:06
2. Using the knife, remove the white root piece from the bottom of each half. Soak the lettuce in a bowl of cold water to remove any dirt. Use your fingers to help scrub any grime away. Make sure the water is cold, as this will keep the lettuce crunchy. Remove the lettuce and pat dry. 00:26
3. Place the lettuce on a serving plate and lightly season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the Caesar dressing and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese shavings atop the salad. Add the herb croutons and serve. 01:17
What You'll Need
- Chef's knife or cleaver
- Cutting board
- Vegetable peeler (for Parmesan cheese)
- Serving plate
- Green leaf lettuce (1 head)
- Caesar dressing*
- Parmesan cheese, thickly shaved (1/4 cup)
- Herb croutons (6 to 8 pieces)*
When selecting lettuce, ensure that the leaves are a bright green color with no brown spots.
To make the thick cheese shreds, run a vegetable peeler over a cold block of Parmesan.
Chef Alex makes his own herb croutons and Caesar dressing to top this salad. For these recipes, visit the corresponding tutorials located below.