1. Add 1/3 cup of rice to a sauce pot over medium heat. Add 3 cups of coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Bring the mixture up to a boil and then down to a simmer. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender. 00:20
2. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. 01:12
3. Serve the pudding either warm or chilled with any desired toppings. Chef Irene serves this pudding cold with a dollop of tomato jam and a fresh mint garnish. 01:51
What You'll Need
- Sauce pot
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Rice, medium-grain (1/3 cup)
- Coconut milk (3 cups)
- Water (1 cup)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- Maple syrup (1 tablespoon)
Rice pudding is a traditional dish in Thailand. It is often served for celebratory occasions.
The pudding will thicken up once it begins to cool. If you are looking for a more watery texture, remove the mixture from the heat while it is a bit more runny. Alternately, cook the pudding for longer if you prefer a thicker texture.
The pudding can be topped with any topping you can think of for a dessert. Chef Irene suggests almonds, pecans, herbs, or spices.