1. Round cake pans come in a variety of different diameters and depths. Round pans are usually sold in depths of 2 and 3 inches. Pans that are 2 inches deep are more often used in recipes to create a two layer cake. 3 inch deep pans are more versatile and create cakes that can be cut into multiple layers. A 6 inch cake pan will serve about 8 people. A 9 inch round pan will serve about 20 people. A 12 inch round pan will serve about 50 people. 00:17
2. When deciding what type of pan to purchase, it is best to follow the recipe. Also take into consideration how likely you are to use any specific type or size of pan regularly. It is best to buy pans that are standard sizes and are large enough to meet the number of servings needed. 01:31
3. It is important to properly prepare pans before baking. To prepare a pan, first butter the inside of the pan. Dust the pan with flour. Lay parchment paper in the bottom of the pan and butter and flour the parchment. This process keeps baked goods from sticking to the sides or bottom of the pan. 04:00
4. When adding batter to a pan, be sure to only fill the pan halfway. If you have extra batter, use the extra to make cupcakes. 04:21
5. Some other common types of baking pans include cupcake pans, loaf pans, cookie sheets, and tart pans. Tart pans have a removable bottom that allows you to easily remove the tart from the pan without sticking. 05:22
What You'll Need
- Cupcake pan
- 6 inch round pan
- 9 inch round pan
- 12 inch round pan
- Quarter sheet pan
- Loaf pan
- Cookie sheet
- Tart pan
Properly preparing a pan for baking is very important. To learn more about preparing pans, visit Chef Rose Lawrence's "How to Prepare a Pan for Baking" tutorial and Chef Zoe Nathan's "How to Line a Cake Pan" tutorial, both located at the bottom of the page.
Loaf pans are commonly used to bake loaf cakes like coffee cake, tea cake, and lemon poppyseed cake. Loaf pans can also be used to bake breads.
Some other common types of baking pans include springform pans, pie pans, and specialty cake pans. Springform pans are two part pans consisting of a cylinder that opens and closes with a spring hinge and a removable bottom piece. Springform pans are commonly used to make cheesecake. Specialty cake pans are often shaped for specific types of cake. Popular specialty cake pans include pans for bundt cakes and angel food cakes.