1. Trim the stem end off the tomatoes and dice the remainder into 1/4 inch pieces. Place the diced tomato into a bowl. 00:43
2. Add the diced onion to the bowl and stir. Then stir in the diced chiles and garlic. 01:21
3. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt to taste. Serve immediately. 02:15
What You'll Need
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Serving bowl
- Roma tomatoes (4)
- White onion, finely diced (1/2 cup)
- Jalapeño or serrano chile peppers, finely diced (1-2 tablespoons, to taste)
- Garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- Cilantro, chopped (1/4 cup)
- Lime juice (1 teaspoon)
- Salt to taste
Pico de gallo is a fresh, uncooked salad and is best served within hours of making it.
Pico De Gallo literally translates to "rooster's beak". Because the salsa is made with coarsely chopped ingredients and minimal liquid, people originally consumed it with their hands by making a beak-shape with their index finger and thumb.
Choose which chili peppers to add based on taste and heat tolerance. Serranos are spicier than jalapeños, though heat level can vary depending on the specific crop, season, and individual chili.