1. Slice into the toasted Hawaiin roll lengthwise to create a bun for the sandwich. 00:49
2. Line the bottom of the bun with the wild arugula. 01:05
3. Place the grilled sausage on top of the arugula, in the center of the bun. 01:40
4. Generously spoon the fig and onion relish on top of the sausage, making sure it is completely covered. 01:54
5. Drizzle the aioli across the top of the sausage in a zig zag pattern. 02:28
6. Top the sandwich with sliced, toasted almonds for an added crunch or garnish as desired. 03:28
What You'll Need
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Käsekrainer sausage, grilled (1)
- King's Hawaiian roll, toasted (1)
- Wild arugula (1/2 cup)
- Fig and onion relish (3 to 4 tablespoons)
- Whole grain mustard aioli (2 tablespoons)
- Almonds, sliced and toasted (2 tablespoons)
Käsekrainer sausage is a pork sausage filled with Emmentaler cheese with a flavor profile similar to andouille sausage. Käsekrainer sausages are considered Slovenian klobasa and are similar to kielbasa or Polish sausages.
Chef Michael notes that the flavor profiles in this sandwich are reminicent of flavors commonly found in charcuterie boards. To learn how to build a charcuterie board, visit Chef Elias Cairo's "How to Build a Charcuterie Board" tutorial located at the bottom of the page.
Chef Michael uses three connected Hawaiian rolls to create a bun for this sandwich. He flips the bun on its side, splits it lengthwise, and then lightly toasts it to create a bun similar in size to a traditional hot dog or sausage bun.
Wild arugula is thicker than regular arugula. This variety holds up better than others in this dish, and gives the sandwich a peppery flavor.
Whole grain mustard aioli, perfect for sausages and burgers, is made up of equal parts whole grain mustard and garlic aioli.