1. Add five tablespoons of olive oil to a large, oven-safe sauté pan over medium heat. Carefully place the potatoes into the oil. Using a spoon, move the potatoes around the pan until they are thoroughly coated with olive oil. Add the freshly cracked black pepper and kosher salt. Grab the handle of the pan and shake it back and forth to help distribute the ingredients. 00:14
2. After one to two minutes, add the garlic and onion to the pan. Add the rosemary and thyme. Toss the potatoes in the pan to incorporate the new ingredients. Place the pan into an oven heated to 450 degrees, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. 00:56
3. Remove the potatoes from the oven. Using a fork, pierce a potato to test doneness. If the potato pierces easily, it is fully cooked. 01:27
4. Prepare the smoking gun by igniting the wood chips with a lighter until the wood begins to smolder. Hold one end of the hose to spread the smoke evenly across the potatoes. 01:52
5. Once the potatoes have been smoked, drain any excess fat by placing the potatoes on a paper towel-lined plate. Plate the drained potatoes by arranging them in a neat stack. Garnish with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. 02:35
What You'll Need
- Oven-safe sauté pan
- Smoking gun
- Wood chips
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Paper towel-lined plate
- Fingerling potatoes (washed and halved)
- Extra virgin olive oil (5 tablespoons, plus extra for drizzling)
- Garlic, minced (3 cloves)
- Onion, diced (1/2 cup)
- Fresh rosemary (2 sprigs)
- Fresh thyme (4 sprigs)
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
A smoking gun is a handheld food smoker. It can be used to add smokey flavor to salads, meats, meringues, sauces, butters, and fruit. The guns can be found online or at specialty cooking stores.
Chef Kevin mentions that a smoking gun can be utilized for both a hot smoke and a cold smoke. A cold smoke uses a lower temperature smoke, and simply flavors the meat, while a hot smoke simultaneously flavors and cooks the ingredient. In this tutorial, Chef Kevin uses a cold smoke, as the potatoes have already been sautéed and roasted.
Fingerling potatoes are a type of potato possessing a small and stubby shape. Their long size make them perfect for halving, and they are often used in side dishes or to accompany salads.