1. Heat a wok or large frying pan on high. Once hot, add the oil. Then add the Thai basil, cilantro, onion, green onion, chile, garlic, and ginger. Toss together until "al dente" or until aromatic. 00:23
2. Add the prime rib and rice, stir together. Adjust the heat and/or add additional oil, if necessary. Then stir in the garlic soy sauce and sambal. 01:00
3. Once the sauces have been incorporated, remove the stir fry from the wok and spoon into a serving bowl. 02:20
4. Garnish the stir fry with the egg, bell peppers, fried shallots, and sesame seeds. Add any chiles, cilantro, or Thai basil, as desired. Serve with a dollop of garlic soy paste. 02:38
What You'll Need
- Wok or fry pan
- Small fry pan
- Chef's knife
- Serving bowl
- Canola oil (4 tablespoon)
- Thai basil (4 to 6 leaves, plus extra for garnish)
- Cilantro (4 to 6 leaves, plus extra for garnish)
- Onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- Green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- Red Fresno chile, minced (1 teaspoon, plus extra for garnish)
- Ginger, grated (1 teaspoon)
- Garlic, minced (2 cloves)
- Prime rib (5 ounces, chopped)
- Rice, cooked (2 cups)
- Garlic soy sauce (1/2 cup)*
- Sambal or other chile paste (2 tablespoons)
- Egg (1, cooked sunny-side up)
- Red bell pepper, finely diced (2 teaspoons)
- Fried shallots (1 tablespoon)
- Sesame seeds (1 teaspoon)
- Garlic paste (1 tablespoon)*
*For the garlic paste and soy sauce recipe, see Chef Notes.
Sambal is an Indonesian condiment made with chile peppers and salt. Variations can also include ingredients such as onion, fish sauce, lime juice, lemongrass, sugar, garlic, oil, or rice vinegar. Sambal can be purchased at Asian markets and some grocery stores.
Chef Roy uses a few ingredients that are specific to his restaurant Chego.
-- Garlic paste - Made by slowly pureeing garlic cloves and mixing with soy sauce. Use fresh, or allow the sauce to ferment by adding oil and a pinch of turmeric and salt. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
-- Garlic soy sauce - Consists of garlic, ginger, sugar, and chiles simmered together for several hours. His garlic paste is made from the solids of this mixture that have been puréed and fermented.