1. There are two classifications of buttercream: cooked and uncooked. 00:06
2. American Buttercream is an uncooked buttercream. It consists of unsalted butter, heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. 00:20
3. Cream cheese frosting is another example of an uncooked buttercream. It consists of butter, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar. 00:59
4. Uncooked buttercream frostings can be kept at room temperature if ready to use. If refrigerating overnight, allow the buttercream to come to room temperature before using. Re-whip the cream with a mixer to restore the light and fluffy texture. 01:21
5. There are three types of cooked buttercream frosting: Italian, French, and Swiss. 02:45
6. Cooked buttercream frostings should be prepared over a double boiler. 03:36
7. Heatproof spatulas, piping bags, and piping tips are great tools to handle finished buttercreams. 04:04
What You'll Need
- Mixing bowl
- Electric Mixer
- Double boiler
- Rubber spatula
- Piping bag and tips
- Ingredients vary by specific recipes
Although most recipes for American buttercream call for milk, Chef Olivia prefers heavy whipping cream, since it allows for a fluffier product.
There are other fats besides butter that can be used for buttercreams, however butter is more popular due to its delicate texture and flavor.
Frosting was not created until the mid 1600s. This frosting consisted of sugar, egg whites and, on occasion, flavoring, which was boiled together and poured over the cake. A baker would then place the cake back into the oven for a bit, and when it was removed, the frosting would cool into a shiny glaze.
Swiss meringue buttercream is prepared by cooking sugar and egg whites in a bowl placed over a pot of boiling water. Cook until the temperature of the eggs is 140 degrees. Once the sugar is dissolved into the egg whites, transfer the mixture to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk the buttercream until firm peaks form. Add room temperature butter, and mix until it all becomes uniform. Swiss meringue needs to be refrigerated.