1. Add chopped herbs and garlic to a mason jar. 00:39
2. Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into the jar. As you squeeze, use your other hand to catch any falling seeds. 01:05
3. Add the vinegar and oil to the jar. 01:20
4. Add a large pinch of both salt and pepper, to taste. 01:48
5. Shake vigorously to combine all the ingredients. The vinaigrette can be used immediately, but for the best flavor, allow it to sit overnight. 02:00
What You'll Need
- Mason jar and lid
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Oregano, chopped (1 tablespoon)
- Basil, chopped (1 tablespoon)
- Italian parsley, chopped (1 tablespoon)
- Garlic (1 clove, chopped)
- Lemon (1/2)
- Red wine vinegar (1/3 cup)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (1 cup)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Chef Brandon recommends making the vinaigrette one day before use to allow the flavors to meld together.
Red wine vinaigrette is extremely versatile. It can be used to dress a salad, as a marinade, or brushed on top of fish and vegetables before grilling.
Flavored olive oils can be used to add a unique twist to this vinaigrette recipe. These oils can be found infused with rosemary, thyme, or other types of herbs. They can be purchased online or at specialty grocery stores.